This is a great recipe taken from The Carrot Cookbook edited by Nicola Hill. It has more than 60 simple recipes.
We decided to try out the Carrot and Almond loaf with Tomato Sauce, simply because it was easy and we had all the ingredients in the pantry.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 pd carrots, grated
- 1 1/4 cups slivered almonds, toasted (or not)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- t Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Easy tomato soup – our own recipe
- 3 cups of tomato juice
- 1 tsp of garlic
- 1 tsp of basil
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk.
- In a skillet melt butter over low heat and sauté onion and chopped garlic for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- In a large bowl combine the bread crumbs, carrots and almonds. Stir in the sautéed onion and garlic. Add beaten eggs, lemon juice, parsley and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. If mixture seems dry, feel free to add a little water.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Spoon the mixture into a greased 9×9 dish, or loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until the load if nicely browned. Insert a toothpick in the center to check if done. Toothpick should come out clean.
- Meanwhile in a small pot, combine tomato juice, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, add coconut milk and simmer for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve slice or piece with hot tomato basil sauce. Makes 6-8 servings.
Tip: Dish may be made ahead of time, frozen and defrosted on the day you want to have it.
Tip: You may use the tomato sauce in a carton or can. Season with salt and pepper. Add coconut milk, sour cream or plain yogurt if you like your soup creamy.