Plantains are a good source for a quick and fan snack option.
Plantain are like bananas only they are still green and used for cooking. I love to substitute and found that, what I can do with a potato I can do with plantain. Here is how to make simple and delicious plantain snacks. I chose to make Round Bites and Plantain Chips.
Round Plantain Bites
- Two plantains, peeled and cut into on inch pieces.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of chilli powder ( optional)
- In a skillet, heat oil.
- Place pieces, round side down, cook for about 2 min each side, until slightly yellow.
- When done, place pieces on a plate and with bottom of another plate, squeeze each piece flat into a coin shaped snack.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The other option is……Plantain Chips.
- Cut two plantains into thirds and then slice lengthwise into chips. Don’t worry about the shapes, they can vary.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet, drop in plantain slices and cook to a crisply golden yellow.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste