Two weeks ago, we discovered a dish that is very similar to one of our favorites:- Tamale Pie! (p83, Sandra Lee, Semi Homemade, slow cooker recipes). It is the spicy chicken casserole with corn bread dish (p222 of the Favorite Brand Name 3 books in one).
We of course made it “our own” by introducing “home made” ingredients and using frozen rather than canned goods and making the Taco Seasoning from scratch from another of our cook book collections. We loved it so much we decided to share it. So, here it is!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 envelope/1oz taco seasoning- (we made our own- recipe in another section)
- 1 can black beans- made our own- (cooked dry black beans as per package instructions)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained- (used 4 fresh roma tomatoes)
- 1 can Mexican style corn, drained- (used frozen corn)
- 1 can diced mild green chilies, drained- (used fresh from our kitchen garden)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 box of corn bread mix-use recipe on box
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
How to make it
1. Prepare oven to 350F degrees. Spray 2-quart casserole with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken thoroughly.
3. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken in the skillet. Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chilies and salsa, stir until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
4. Prepare cornbread mix as per package directions. (add cheddar cheese and red bell pepper)
5. Bake 30 minutes or until corn bread topping is brown.
Here it is! Simply Scrumplicious! 10/10